This article will discuss the 408 visa update 2023. Whether you’re a skilled professional looking to gain international experience, a volunteer looking to make a difference, or simply an adventurer seeking new experiences, the 408 visa (also known as the COVID-19 pandemic event visa) is your substantive visa to the land down under.
Australia is a land of opportunity, attracting people with its stunning landscapes, vibrant culture, and dynamic economy. For those seeking to experience the best that Australia offers, the 408 visa is a gateway to a world of adventure and opportunity.
So, if you’re ready to embark on an unforgettable journey, read on to learn more about the 408 visa update and all it has to offer.
408 Visa Update: Overview
Temporary Activity Visa (subclass 408) are temporary visas that allows you to come to Australia to participate in a range of activities, including:
Australian Government-endorsed Events
Government-endorsed events include those sponsored by the Australian government, such as the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023. The visa fee for this activity is around AUD 405. However, you need not pay any fee for the following events:
- COVID-19 pandemic event
- FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 event.
Under this visa, you can stay for the event for up to four years, depending on your role. However, you can’t stay in Australia longer by extending your visa. You may have a wide range of other visa options that could suit your needs.
Moreover, the purpose of this visa is only to participate in certain events that the Australian Government has endorsed.
Temporary Activity Visa as a COVID Visa
This visa was also introduced in recognition for temporary visa holders could not leave the country during the pandemic. Temporary visa holders working in, or intending to work in the tourism and hospitality sector will be able to apply for the 408 COVID-19 Visa. Your COVID-19 Pandemic event visa grant notification letter may contain a ‘must not arrive after’ date that is 7 days from your visa grant date.
Special Programs to Enhance International Relations and Cultural Exchange
This includes programs that promote cultural understanding and cooperation between Australia and other countries, such as:
- youth exchange
- cultural enrichment
- community programs
- school language assistants
- gap year school volunteering.
You can obtain this visa if you comply with the following:
- have an invitation to participate in an approved special program
- supported or sponsored, depending on your circumstances
- other requirements from the Department of Home Affairs (DHA).
High-Level Sports Competition or Training
This visa enables athletes to participate in high-level sports training with a sporting organisation or to play, coach, instruct, or judge for an Australian team. The visa fee for this is AUD 450, and there is also a charge if another family member applies for the visa with you.
Things to remember under this visa:
- You can only work with the approved sporting activity if you obtain this visa.
- The length of stay depends on the activity the DHA approves you to do on the visa.
- This can be a multiple-entry visa. You may leave and re-enter Australia as often as you want as long as the visa is valid.
- You can include family members in your application.
- Your activities must not harm the work, training, or job conditions of Australian citizens or permanent residents.
This activity includes performers, production crew, and support staff working in Australia’s entertainment industry. However, you must have the following:
- A contract or other proof of your engagement
- Access to enough money to support yourself and any dependents who travel with you during your stay in Australia.
These are the categories you can choose to apply for this visa:
- perform in a film or television production subsidised by government
- perform in a film or television production not subsidised by government
- perform other than in film or television
- work in a production role other than as a performer
- work as support staff for an entertainer or group of entertainers
- work as a performer or support staff for a non-profit engagement
- work on a documentary or commercial for an overseas market.
The length of validity of this visa depends on the activity that the DHA has approved you to do on the visa. Nevertheless, the maximum stay is only two years.
Superyacht Crew Stream
You can apply for this visa to work as a crew member on a superyacht in Australia. The maximum stay for this visa is 12 months only. To be eligible, you must have these:
- A contract to work as a superyacht crew member
- A letter from the owner of the superyacht confirming the person’s employment as a member of the crew of the vessel
- A supporter or a sponsor, depending on your circumstances
- Other requirements by the DHA
Full-Time Religious Work
This visa lets you do full-time religious work for a religious institution in Australia. Religious work includes the following:
- providing spiritual leadership
- conducting worship
- teaching or offering guidance on religion
- providing pastoral care
- other high-level specialist work relating to these acts
Staff Exchange Arrangements
This visa lets you come to Australia as part of a staff exchange with an Australian organisation. With this visa, you can:
- take part in a reciprocal staff exchange with an Australian organisation
- travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid
Domestic Work for Executives
This visa lets you come to Australia to do full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives. To obtain this visa you must be:
- 18 years old or older
- invited to work in the household
- experienced in domestic work
- supported or sponsored
408 Visa Update: Living in Australia on a 408 Visa
The rules and regulations for living in Australia on a 408 visa vary depending on your visa stream. However, there are some general rules that all 408 visa holders must follow.
- You must stay in Australia for the duration of your visa.
- You must comply with all the conditions of your visa
- You must have sufficient funds to support yourself and your family in Australia.
- You must not become a burden on the Australian community.
It is highly important to carefully read your visa’s conditions and comply with all the rules and regulations. If you have any questions about the rules and regulations for living in Australia on a 408 visa, contact the Department of Home Affairs.
408 Visa Update: Can You Extend Your 408 Visa?
You cannot extend a 408 visa in Australia. But there is a solution for that: you can apply for a new 408 visa if your current visa is about to expire.
To apply for a new 408 visa, you must meet the same eligibility requirements as you did when you first applied. You must also submit a new application form and pay the application fee.
If your application is approved, you will be issued a new visa label that you must always keep with you when you are in Australia. You must also comply with all the conditions of your new visa.
Here are some of the reasons why you may need to apply for a new 408 visa:
- Your current visa is about to expire or if your existing visa expires
- You have changed your circumstances since you first applied for the visa. For example, you may have gotten married or had a child.
- You need to stay in Australia for a longer period.
Planning to Get an Australian 408 Visa?
The application process for a 408 visa can be complex and time-consuming, and many different requirements must be met to be approved. Our immigration lawyers at JB Solicitors can:
- Ensure that all necessary paperwork is completed correctly and submitted on time.
- Provide guidance on the types of evidence and documentation required to support the application.
- Assistance with other aspects of the visa, such as ensuring that the visa holder is complying with all of the conditions of the visa and helping to resolve any issues that may arise during their stay in Australia.
Our expertise and experience can ensure that the process goes as smoothly and efficiently as possible and can help to avoid any potential issues or complications that could arise along the way.
Contact us today if you need help lodgig your temporary visa or pandemic event visa.