When you’ve been doing some research about getting a partner visa for Australia and you come across the requirement “partner visa evidence,” you might be wondering what these documents are.
Remember that securing a Partner Visa is not just about paperwork or simply presenting a marriage certificate; it’s about convincing the authorities that your love story is the real deal. In this article, we will explain the different kinds of partner visa evidence that you should include in your visa application.
The Partner Visa is a pathway for overseas partners of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens. It allows them to live in Australia on a long-term basis. This can be a Temporary Partner Visa (subclass 820) or Permanent Partner Visa (subclass 801).
List of Partner Visa Evidence
The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) provides a list of acceptable documents to prove the existence of your de facto relationship in your partner visa application. Here’s a list of partner visa evidence examples:
- Relationship evidence that you and your partner share financial responsibilities in financial aspects.
- joint mortgage or lease documents
- joint loan documents for major assets like homes, cars or major appliances
- joint bank account statements
- household bills in both names
- Evidence you and your partner share domestic matters.
- a statement about how you share housework
- household bills in both names
- mail or emails addressed to you both
- documents that show joint responsibility for children
- documents that prove your living arrangements.
- Evidence that others know about your relationship.
- Statements (Form 888) from two witnesses who are 18 years or older, know you and your partner and know about how your relationship developed. Ideally these should be family members or close friends of you or your de facto partner
- Evidence you are committed to a long-term relationship with each other.
- You know each other’s background, family situation, or other personal details.
- You have combined your personal matters
- You stay in touch when apart
- You know significant events that transpired in your pa
- You are not related by family.
Three Categories of Partner Visa Evidence
When applying for a Partner visa, you must prioritise building a strong evidence base to convince immigration authorities of the genuineness and stability of your relationship. Importantly, while the core categories of evidence remain essential, demonstrating various types of proof can solidify your application.
Here’s a breakdown of evidence categories to consider:
Partner Visa Evidence: Foundational Documents
Foundational documents set the stage for your story, establish credibility, and address potential concerns. By building upon this foundation with diverse and authentic additional proof, you can significantly increase your chances of a successful Partner Visa application:
- Joint residency – Lease agreements, utility bills, shared bank statements, mail addressed to both names at the same address – establish cohabitation and shared life.
- Financial interdependence – Joint bank accounts, financial transactions showing co-mingled funds, and evidence of contributing to household expenses – demonstrate financial ties and commitment.
- Identification documents – Passports, visas, proof of identity for both partners – establish individual identities and your relationship within the legal framework.
Partner Visa Evidence: Social and Community Integration
Showing that both of you have successfully integrated with the Australian community will build credibility and strengthen the authenticity of your relationship.
- Photos and videos – Capture memories of shared experiences like social events, travel adventures, family gatherings, and celebrations – showcase genuine connection and involvement in each other’s lives.
- Membership records – Joint memberships in clubs, gyms, sports teams, and volunteer organisations – demonstrate shared interests and activities beyond just the two of you.
- Social media posts – Carefully curated public posts showing affection, shared experiences, and interactions with friends and family – offer a glimpse into your everyday life and social connections.
Partner Visa Evidence: Communication and Emotional Connection
Email exchanges, text messages or chat logs, and handwritten letters will showcase the emotional bond that both of you have.
While foundational documents establish cohabitation and finances, communication and emotional connection documentation will exhibit the true essence of your relationship. They showcase the love, affection, and emotional support that define your partnership.
Partner Visa Evidence: Commitment and Plans for the Future
Demonstrating your commitment and plans for the future will convince immigration authorities of the long-term nature of your relationship. These documents go beyond the present because it will show that you two have shared visions and aspirations for a life together in Australia.
- Evidence of joint investments – Property purchases, shared assets, and investments – demonstrate tangible commitment and shared goals.
- Future plans – Documentation of travel bookings, educational pursuits undertaken together, and future goals outlined in letters or emails – showcase the shared vision and commitment to building a future together.
- Statutory declarations – Statements from friends, family, colleagues, or employers who know your relationship personally – offer third-party perspectives and vouch for its genuineness.
- Applying for a Prospective Marriage Visa – This visa is for individuals who are engaged to an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen. It allows the visa applicant to enter Australia and marry their partner within nine months.
Tips for Strong Partner Evidence
- Be authentic and consistent. Don’t fabricate evidence or exaggerate details. Focus on genuine moments and consistent patterns in your relationship.
- Quality over quantity. Select impactful evidence that tells a compelling story about your relationship, not just a large volume of generic documents.
- Third-party testimonials. Statutory declarations from friends, family, or employers about their knowledge of your relationship can add weight.
- Be organised and present evidence clearly. Label documents, categorise them logically, and provide explanations where needed.
By carefully gathering and presenting evidence that convincingly portrays the genuineness and stability of your relationship, you’ll significantly strengthen your Partner visa application. Furthermore, remember to always double-check everything before proceeding to submission.
Partner Visa Success with a Trusted Guide
To maximise the success of your partner visa application, a migration lawyer can be your guide during the process. JB Solicitors can guide you through every step of the process with compassion, expertise, and a commitment to your success.
We offer the following benefits:
- Expert Guidance. We have migration lawyers who have in-depth knowledge of requirements for partner visas, eligibility criteria, and current regulations, ensuring your application adheres to all legal nuances.
- Customised Strategy. We can tailor your application to your unique circumstances, highlighting your strengths and addressing potential challenges proactively.
- Partner Visa Evidence Gathering and Presentation. We can help you gather compelling evidence, organise it effectively, and present it in a way that resonates with immigration authorities.
Make your happy ending happen with the right support by your side. Contact us today.