Some people may ask themselves “How can they get a 482 visa extension?”. There are a number of reasons why you might want to extend your Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) visa. Here are a few of the most common reasons:
- A longer stay in Australia to continue working in your skilled occupation.
- Eligibility for permanent residency after three years on a TSS visa.
- A longer stay because you are waiting for a decision on your permanent residency application.
- You may be unable to find a job in your home country that matches your skills and experience.
Do these instances apply to you? If yes, read on to learn more about how a 482 visa extension works.
What Is a Temporary Skills Shortage Visa?
A 482 visa, also known as the Temporary Skill Shortage visa, is a temporary work visa in Australia. It allows employers to nominate positions for overseas workers in areas of critical skills shortages. Here are some key points to understand about a 482 visa:
1. Sponsorship Requirement: To apply for a 482 visa, an individual must have an approved sponsor who has a genuine need to fill a position with an overseas worker. The sponsor must provide evidence of this need and apply to become a standard sponsor if they are not already one. Sponsors must also include the Australian market salary rate in the employment contract.
2. Visa Streams: There are three streams under the 482 visa: short-term stream, medium-term stream, and labour agreement stream. The stream chosen depends on the specific circumstances and requirements of the applicant.
3. Duration: The duration of a 482 visa can vary depending on the stream and the specific circumstances of the applicant. In general, the DHA can grant the 482 visa for up to two years under the short-term stream, or up to four years if an international trade obligation applies.
Additional Points to Consider
4. English Language Proficiency: Applicants for a 482 visa must meet the English language proficiency requirements, which are stricter than under the previous 457 visa. Proof of English language skills is required as part of the application process. This is the case even if the visa holder is applying for a 482 visa extension.
5. Skill Assessment: Depending on the relevant occupation, a relevant skills assessment may be required for the 482 visa application. This assessment verifies that the applicant has the necessary skills and qualifications for the nominated occupation.
6. Character and Health Requirements: Applicants must meet character and health requirements as part of the visa application process. This includes providing police certificates from every country where the applicant has spent 12 months or more.
7. Application Process: The application process for a 482 visa involves the sponsor lodging a nomination application, followed by the applicant completing the application form and paying the required fees and charges. The application is submitted online through ImmiAccount.
What Is the Application Process for a 482 Visa Extension?
The process for renewing a 482 visa in Australia involves meeting certain requirements and following a specific application process. Here are the steps involved in renewing a 482 visa:
The first step in renewing a 482 visa is to check if you meet the eligibility criteria. Your occupation should be listed on the consolidated Skilled Occupation List, and you must have at least two years of work experience in the nominated occupation or in a related field
Hold a Valid Visa
To apply for a 482 visa extension or renewal, you must hold either a:
- Substantive visa;
- Bridging Visa A (BVA);
- Bridging Visa B (BVB); or
- Bridging Visa C (BVC)
This requirement applies to both primary and secondary visa applicants. Click here to learn more about bridging visas.
Lodge a New Nomination Application
Your sponsoring employer must lodge a new nomination application for you to renew your 482 visa. This involves providing evidence of the genuine need to fill a position with an overseas worker. The position must also pass labour market testing requirements.
Apply for a New TSS Visa
Once the nomination application is lodged, you can apply for a new Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa. This involves providing the required documents, including:
- Proof of English language skills
- Documents proving identity, including valid passport details and change of name details
- Skill assessment results
- Character documents, which may include a police certificate from every country where the applicant has spent 12 months or more
- Health examinations and specialist medical fees if issues are identified
- Police clearances (costs and requirements will differ for each county)
- Translating original documents (required if they are not in English)
- Professional fees if the applicant engages a registered migration agent or an immigration lawyer to assist with the application
Include Family Members
You may also be able to include certain family members in your 482 visa extension application to accompany you to Australia. These may include your spouse, de facto partner, child, or step-child.
Wait for Processing
After submitting your application, you will need to wait for processing. The processing time for a 482 visa extension or renewal can vary depending on various factors. This may include the stream and the completeness of the application. You can check the visa processing times for various visas using this link.
It’s advisable to check the current processing times with the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) or consult with a migration agent for accurate and up-to-date information.
Importance of Seeking Legal Advice
The process of extending your 482 visa can be complex and time-consuming. It is important to seek legal advice from an experienced immigration lawyer. This way, you can ensure that you are eligible for an extension and that you meet all of the visa’s legal requirements. An immigration lawyer can help you with the following:
- Understanding the eligibility requirements for a 482 visa extension.
- Gathering the required documentation.
- Drafting the TSS visa application form.
- Submitting the application to the Department of Home Affairs.
- Representing you at a visa interview, if necessary.
JB Solicitors is an experienced immigration law firm that can help you with all aspects of extending your 482 visa. Our lawyers have a deep understanding of the Australian immigration system and can help you navigate the complex process of extending your visa.
If you are interested in a 482 visa extension, please contact JB Solicitors today to schedule a consultation. We would be happy to discuss your case and advise you on the best course of action.