What is the IELTS requirement for 187 visa? This is one of the many tests that assess if the visa applicant has complied with demonstrating English language proficiency in the areas of language speaking, reading, listening, and writing skills.
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) or subclass 187 visa is a permanent visa. One of the requirements of this visa is that the applicant should have a sufficient IELTS score. This is a permanent employer-sponsored visa that allows skilled workers to live and work in Australia permanently.
The visa requires a job offer in regional Australia and fills labour shortages in rural areas. It allows regional employers to sponsor skilled foreign nationals to fill positions in their businesses. There are three stages to an RSMS application:
- RCB Certification: This is where the Regional Certifying Body will ensure that the position is genuine and in many cases require that the employers advertise the position.
- The review of the business and position by the Department of Immigration.
- Visa application: The RSMS visa has two application pathways:
- the Temporary Residence Transition Stream pathway; and
- the Direct Entry Stream pathway (Direct Entry Stream applicants must have an occupation from the MLTSSL and a nomination by an Australian employer)
Under the Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) pathway, you need to have at least Competent English. Various English language tests such as the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) can demonstrate the English skills assessment of the applicant.
Temporary Residence Transition Pathway
The Temporary Residence Transition pathway is for TSS visa holders who have worked for their employer full-time for two or three years and have a nomination from their employer.
On the other hand, the Direct Entry pathway is for applicants who have not worked in Australia or have only worked in Australia for a short period of time and have nomination from their employer. However, this pathway is not open for new applicants currently.
Here are the eligibility requirements:
- You must have the required skills and qualifications needed to perform the tasks of the nominated occupation.
- You must be licensed, registered, or a member of a professional body if it is mandatory in the state or territory you intend to work in.
- You must be nominated by the employer who sponsored your temporary work visa.
- You must be under 45 years old when you apply.
- You must be a primary visa holder of either a 457, 482, or a bridging visa.
- You must meet the health and character requirement.
- You must sign the Australian values statement.
- You must have Competent English.
What Does IELTS Mean?
IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System. It is a globally recognised English language proficiency test. It assesses the English language skills of non-native speakers who want to study, work, or migrate to countries where English is the native language. This includes Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK, and the USA.
The test assesses the test taker’s ability to listen, read, write, and speak in functional English. It is graded on a scale of 1-9. In Australia, IELTS is the most popular English language proficiency test for migrants. The Department of Home Affairs and many professional organisations and accrediting bodies accept it as a proof of English language ability for study, work, and migration.
IELTS Requirement for 187 Visa
Competent English tests such as the IELTS requirement for 187 visa may be taken at home or online (IELTS Online and IELTS Indicator). For you to be considered as having complied with the IELTS requirement for 187 visa, your test score must be at least 6 for each of the 4 components.
The four IELTS test components are:
- writing, and
The Academic and General Training IELTS modules are distinct from one another. While the Reading and Writing exams are different in each module, the Speaking and Listening exams are the identical in both.
If you want to study undergraduate or postgraduate levels, or if you are seeking professional registration, you should choose the Academic module. But if your purpose is to migrate to an English-speaking country such as Australia, or you want to train or study at a below degree level, you should pick the General Training Module.
The IELTS requirement for 187 visa has four parts:
- The Listening component has 40 questions and you have approximately 30 minutes to finish it.
- The Reading component has 40 questions and have 60 minutes.
- The Writing component has two (2) tasks and you should be able to finish it within 60 minutes.
- The Speaking component has three (3) parts and you have around 11 to 14 minutes to finish it.
IELTS Requirement for 187 Visa: Proof of Completion
When you’re applying for the subclass 187 visa as the main or primary applicant, you must provide proof of completion of the test by the time of your application. However, you cannot have taken the test more than three (3) years before the date of your application. Otherwise, such proof of test completion will not be valid and acceptable.
However, the Competent English requirement is not always mandatory. If you have finished at least five years of full-time study in a school or higher education institution where all coursework was in English, you are exempt from this requirement.
How to Prepare for the IELTS Requirement for 187 Visa?
To successfully hurdle this requirement, you must prepare well for it. Here’s what you can do:
- Understand the test format. Review the test’s subject matter as well as the question and task formats for each section to get a feel for the test’s structure.
- Try answering IELTS sample questions. You can practice IELTS test questions to help you get ready. You can get a concept of the test structure and what to anticipate from the Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking tests by doing this.
- Take the IELTS Progress Check. IELTS Progress Check is a recognised online practice test for the IELTS exam. It can assist you in getting ready and comprehending the areas that need improvement or attention.
Book your test here.
Consult a Migration Lawyer
We highly recommend that you seek legal advice for your visa application process. A migration lawyer can help you determine which type of visa you are eligible for and whether you meet all of the requirements.
Our migration lawyers at JB Solicitors can also help you identify any potential risks or issues that may arise during the application process. We can help you make sure that your application is successful and that you are not making any mistakes that could jeopardise your chances of getting a visa.
Contact us through this link.